SKU: 78SERIES CleanTop Optical Breadboard 78 Series
CleanTop Optical Breadboard 78 Series
Part Number: tmc-78-series
CleanTop® steel optical breadboards provide exceptional rigidity and damping for smaller tops. Available in both 2 and 4 inch thicknesses, these tops have the same high-performance CleanTop structure as our large optical tables.
Three performance levels available, as well as a large variety of customization options.
- 78 Series
Provides the ultimate in rigidity and damping for smaller tops. Recommended for the most demanding breadboard applications.
- 77 Series
Slightly thinner top skin than 78 series resulting in slightly lower rigidity and damping but at lower cost and weight.
- 75 Lightweight Series
Minimizes both weight and cost. These breadboards have relatively high levels of rigidity, as they utilize our standard steel core, however, with their thin top and bottom skins, they cannot have the rigidity and damping properties of the 78 and 77 series. They are ideal when light loads are anticipated and low weight and/or cost are the most crucial factors. The weight savings – 50% less than the 78 Series Breadboard.
Our steel breadboards can be readily designed to meet custom requirements including custom mounting hole patterns, through-holes, special shapes and custom materials.
All steel construction. No particle board sidewalls or plastic layer between top skin and honeycomb core. Assures maximum strength and structural integrity
Smallest core cell size, highest core density. The CleanTop design does not require enlarging the steel honeycomb core cell size because CleanTop cups are cylindrical, not conical as found in plastic layer designs. CleanTop's average cell size of 0.5 in.(2) is at least 50% smaller than that achieved with plastic layer designs assuring the highest stiffness and greatest core-to-skin bonding contact area
Steel to steel to steel. CleanTop achieves a spill-proof core with only two bonding layers: top skin to core and core to bottom skin. Imitations must add a third bonding layer which weakens the structure: top skin to plastic layer, plastic layer to core, and core to bottom skin.
Thermal stability. The CleanTop all steel construction assures materials of identical coefficient of thermal expansion ensuring optimal thermal stability.
TMC's CleanTop Optical Top is the best method yet for providing a spill-proof, clean, precise, and corrosion resistant optical top with unmatched structural performance. CleanTop is now a standard feature of all TMC optical tops.
Individual CleanTop cups are epoxy-bonded under each tapped hole after it is tapped and cleaned. Cups are made from chemically resistant nylon 6, and stainless steel (304 alloy) cups are available. Holes are now tapped and countersunk prior to adding the cups to allow the machined top sheet to be thoroughly cleaned with open, rather than blind, holes prior to bonding. The top plate is processed through a custom TMC industrial cleaning center where a high pressure, high temperature cleaning solution is forced through each threaded hole, completely clearing any machining or tapping debris. Several rinse and dry cycles ensure an essentially "sterilized" top surface prior to bonding the cups.
CleanTop represents another innovation in TMC's long optical top tradition of industry "firsts" including:
- First spill-proof optical top (CleanTop)
- First all-steel optical top
- First oil-free optical top
- First honeycomb core registered to the tapped hole array
- First lightweight breadboard with formed rather than drilled holes
- First vacuum compatible optical top
- Liquid spills on the surface are contained and cannot reach the top's honeycomb core.
- The core is completely clean and dry with no residual thread-cutting oils to out-gas.
- Extremely clean tapped holes make screw insertion smooth and simple.
- Easy retrieval of small parts dropped into the holes is assured.
- Since no penetration of the core is possible when dangerous chemicals are used on the top's surface, health hazards will not occur by chemicals reaching the core unnoticed.
TMC CleanTop® Competitive Construction
TMC: Formed Steel Sidewalls
Other: Particle board sidewalls
TMC: Steel-to-steel bonding throughout
Other: Weak plastic layer separates core and top skin
TMC: High stiffness, small cell size core, individual nylon cups
Other: Less rigid, large cell size core; molded plastic cups
1. Sidewalls of TMC tops are 0.075 in. (2 mm) thick, damped, cold-rolled formed steel (see center photo, above), unlike the moisture-absorbing particle board favored by other manufacturers, presumably for its low cost. In addition, steel provides structural integrity unattainable with particle board sidewalls.
2.TMC’s design does not require enlarging core cell size because CleanTop cups are cylindrical, not conical like molded plastic membrane cavities. Our average cell size of 0.5 in.2 (3 cm2) is at least 50% smaller than molded cavity top designs, assuring the highest stiffness and greatest core-to-skin bonding contact area.
3. CleanTop achieves a spillproof core with only two bonding layers: top skin to core and core to bottom skin. Imitations must add a third bonding layer, which severely weakens the structure: top skin to plastic layer, plastic layer to core, and core to bottom skin.
4. Additionally, to avoid excessive epoxy being squeezed into the plastic cups, imitative designs use only the thinnest layer of epoxy between the top skin and plastic layer. The thinness of this layer can produce “voids” when the top is bonded by trapping air, significantly weakening the bond.
5. TMC employs a proprietary process to clean our machined skins to a level that is virtually “sterilized.” This ensures the cleanest threaded holes and superb epoxy bonding. Furthermore, the cleaning station is in an entranceway to a clean, finishing building so that the cleaned top never sees a heavy, industrial machining environment. In the CleanTop® design, no machining, grinding or sanding of any kind is performed subsequent to this cleaning process.
6. TMC top skins are stretcher-leveled, stress-relieved, and pressure-bonded against a precision-lapped granite plate, without subsequent grinding—avoiding heat and stress. The finished top is flat within ±0.005 in. (0.13 mm) within the entire tapped hole pattern, regardless of top size, guaranteed.
TMC top skin (above) and competitive design top skin (below) after grinding.
7. Top surfaces of TMC tops are lightly sanded with an orbital pattern to remove burrs and provide a non-glare, non-reflecting finish, without inducing internal stress.
TMC no-glare surface (above). Ground surface of competitive design creates reflection and glare (below).
8. Standard mounting holes in TMC tops are tapped, either 1/4–20 on 1 in. centers or M6 on 25 mm centers. Imperial 1/4-20 tapped holes on 1 in. staggered centers and metric M6 on 25mm staggered centers are available at a nominal additional fee. Custom patterns, including large through-holes for cables, etc., are easily accomplished with our multiple 2,000-watt laser machining centers.
9. All TMC mounting holes are in register with open cells in the honeycomb core (a given with CleanTop® but not necessarily with other designs). This assures that the core is not damaged by subsequent drilling and tapping during manufacture, that the structural integrity of the assembly is maintained, and that all mounting screws can be inserted to full depth without obstruction.
TMC registered holes (shown without CleanTop® cups.) (top), Competitive non-registered holes (bottom).
10. Every hole in a TMC top is lead-screw-tapped, the most precise method known, and there are no inserts. Inserts can loosen, and top skins can be distorted when inserts are pressed into undersized holes.
TMC countersunk holes (above) versus non-countersunk holes in competitive design (below)
11. TMC mounting holes are slightly countersunk to remove ridges and burrs. Every TMC mounting screw can be finger-tightened at first insertion – no wrench is needed.
12. TMC’s broadband dry damping approach is the only logical one for an optical top. Others use "tuned" dampers which only work on a discrete frequency. Structural resonances are not discrete and therefore not eliminated but rather "split" into two resonances by tuned dampers.
13. TMC’s honeycomb core is made of 0.010 in. (0.25 mm) thick steel, work-hardened and plated to prevent corrosion and assure years of service. Steel honeycomb is the ideal material for optical tops since the Young’s modulus of steel is three times that of aluminum.
14. TMC’s honeycomb core is a closed-cell structure with basic cell size of 0.5 in.2 (3 cm2), giving a core density of 13-14 lbs/ft3 (300 kg/m3), significantly greater than others on the market. The effective core density is 18-20 (16 lbs./ft3) including sidewalls and dampers.
TMC's honeycomb core.
18. Structural damping of TMC tops is accomplished using broadband mass dampers which are separate from the core, do not permit hysteresis or creep of the top, and do not detract from the top’s stiffness.
19.Our unique, direct core-to-top bonding improves the thermal conductivity of the core to the outside environment, reducing the "thermal relaxation time" for the top.
20. Our skins, core, sidewalls and dampers are all made of steel and therefore have the same coefficient of thermal expansion. Thus, even in situations with repeated temperature cycling, a TMC top expands and contracts as a whole, assuring structural integrity and preventing long-term internal stress buildup.
- Core: Steel honeycomb, closed cell, 0.01 in. (0.2 mm) thick foil
- Core shear modulus: 275,000 PSI (19300 kg/cm2)
- Core cell size: < 0.5 in.2 (3 cm2)
- Core density: 13.3 lb/ft3 (230 kg/m3)
- Flatness: +/-0.005 in. (0.13 mm)
- Top skin: 430 series ferromagnetic stainless steel
- Top skin thickness: 3/16 in. (5 mm) for 78 series. 1/8 in. (3 mm) for 77 series. 0.075 in. (2 mm) for 75 series
- Sidewalls: Damped formed steel channel covered with vinyl
- Tapped holes: Backed by 1 in. (25 mm) long CleanTop nylon cups.
All returns must be authorized by Spectra Services in order to insure proper credit and must be requested within 30 days of purchase. All returns are subject to a minimum 15% restocking charge. For returns not due to error on behalf of Spectra Services, the customer is responsible for all transportation fees related to the returned product. To ensure proper credit, each product return must include the following information:
- Customer name and address
- Purchase order number
- Spectra Services shipping order number
- Date of invoice
- Item number of returned item(s)
- Spectra Services return authorization number (RMA)
- Reason for return
Unfortunately, Spectra Services is unable to accept the following returns at this time:
- Products not in completely resalable condition (including products with damaged, missing, or defaced labeling or packaging
- Chemicals, reagents, diagnostics, sterile, or any controlled products (unless products do not meet specification
- Laboratory apparatus or instruments that have been used or are without the original packaging, labeling and operating manuals
- Refrigerated products or other perishables
- Products which are not inventoried by Spectra Services and are not able to be returned to the manufacturer
- Products purchased on a special order
- Products not purchased from Spectra Services
- Products with an expired shelf life or an expiration date too short for resale
- Discontinued products
Spectra Services reserves the right to review this policy on a case-by-case basis.
Upon receipt of the pre-owned product(s), the customer has one week to evaluate the product to ensure it meets their expectations. If for some reason the customer decides to return the product, they may do so at any point during those seven (7) days for a full refund. No restocking fee will be assessed, however, the customer is responsible for the return shipping costs. Full credit will be issued upon receipt and inspection of the item(s) to ensure equipment was returned in the same condition it was initially shipped out in.
All exchanges and returns require the completion of a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form. Once completed, please return the merchandise immediately as the RMA number is only active for ten (10) days from the date of issuance.
Charges associated with returning items are the responsibility of the customer unless the item(s) arrived defective, damaged, or incorrect.
Spectra Services highly recommends that return packages be insured for full value and packaged securely to prevent shipping damage.
We're Here To Help
Your satisfaction is important to us! Use this form Contact Us to email us your questions about products, online orders, store experiences and more.
If you need help or have any other questions concerning your orders, please click on the "Contact us" form above or call: 800-955-7732.
249 David Parkway
Ontario, NY 14519 US
"I'm having a hard time searching for a product."
That's no problem. We're more than happy to assist you in your search. Give us a call, or drop us a line and let us know what you're looking for as best you can. We're always adding partner brands, and it's difficult to keep up with the thousands of products that get added to our lineup. Our sales specialists know our lineup best, and are most willing to help you find the solution(s) you need!
"Why can't I complete my order online?"
You most likely have one or more items in your shopping cart that are not priced. If you find that you can't complete an order, contact us via phone or email for further assistance.
"What types of payments do you accept?"
That's an easy one. We're very flexible when it comes to payment. Not only do we accept most major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express), we also offer you the flexibility of paying by check, money order, wire transfers, and purchase orders. Work with any one of our sales specialists to figure out which method is best for you!
"Do you charge sales tax?"
Currently, we are authorized to collect sales tax in California, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington. If we ship to any of these states, we are obligated to charge sales tax unless you provide us with a tax exempt certificate. You can either fax a copy of the certificate to our New York office (585.265.4374) or email it to Cathy ([email protected]).
"Do you offer special pricing for government and educational entities?"
Absolutely! Contact any one of our sales specialists to work out the details!
"I just placed an order. Can I modify/cancel it?"
We pride ourselves on providing you with a responsive and efficient buying experience. We are able to address your concerns in an accurate and timely fashion, and can usually ship your order within 24 hours of order placement. If you contact us within that window, we'll do our absolute best to accommodate your needs and concerns prior to shipment.
"Do you accept international orders?"
Of course! While we require a bank wire prior to shipment of the product on international orders, we assure you that the process is just as smooth for domestic orders. Take a look at our
International Shipping Policy and contact us if we can assist.
"Will I be charged for shipping?"
Shipping charges will be added to your invoice unless you provide us with your UPS, DHL, or FedEx account number. For a more detailed insight into our shipping process, see our shipping information page.
"I received a damaged shipment. What can I do?"
Accidental damage during shipment can sometimes happen. When you take delivery of your freight, please inspect thoroughly for any visible damage to the outside of the shipping container before signing for it. If there are multiple pieces to the shipment, please account for all them. Should you find that any of the products are damaged or missing after receipt, contact us within three days to address the matter.
"I'd like to make a return. How do I do that?"
Take a look at our Return Policy, and then contact us to continue with the process. Let us know if you have any questions.
"Can you guarantee pricing and availability?"
While we attempt to list and provide you the most up-to-date pricing, we reserve the right to make changes. Additionally, we cannot guarantee that we will always have a product in stock, but we do our best to accommodate your needs. If you have questions regarding pricing or availability, please do not hesitate to ask.
"Can you explain where you come up with the 'List Price,' please?"
Our "List Price" represents the full retail price as suggested by the supplier or manufacturer, the price estimated based on comparable items offered elsewhere in the marketplace, a former price the item was offered for by Spectra Services, or the price estimated in accordance with industry standards. Please note that we do our best to provide accurate list prices, and that it may vary by geographic location.