Linkam CSS450 Optical Shearing System for Optical Rhelogy
The Linkam Optical Shearing System (CSS450) allows structural dynamics of complex fluids to be directly observed via standard optical microscope while they are under precisely controlled temperature and various shear modes.
Using the optical shearing cell, it is possible to study the microstructure evolution of complex fluids in great details for many physical processes, e.g. coarsening of binary fluids during their phase separations, flow-induced mixing and demixing of polymer blends, defects dynamics of liquid crystals, aggregation of red blood cells and their deformation in flows etc. We are then in a good position to correlate micro structural dynamics with rheological data for gaining insight into rheology of complex fluids.
- Temperature range ambient to 450°C (-50 to 450°C on Cryo CSS450)
- Computer control using Linksys 32
- Sample area 30mm ∅
- Micro-stepped stepper motor allows 25,000 steps per rev.
- Gap setting between 5 and 2500 µm
- Three modes of operation: oscillatory, step & steady
- 100 Ohm platinum resistor. 1/10th din
- Removable lid for easy sample loading & cleaning
- Fixes to most microscopes using stage clamps
- Temperature rates of between 0.01°C to 30°C/min
- Silver heating blocks for high thermal conductivity
- Observation radius 7.5mm ∅, viewing area 2.8mm ∅
- Sample mounted on quartz window
- Temperature stability ±0.2°C
- Designed for use with the Linksys 32 AV and DV video capture system
- Velocity, amplitude & frequency easily changed during run
- Data can be saved to spreadsheet
- Changeable speed of gap setting
- Suitable for phase contrast, transmitted and polarized light
- Objective lens minimum working distance 7.4mm
- Condenser lens minimum working distance 15mm