Thumbnail Filmstrip of Sutter P-2000/G Laser-based Micropipette Puller Images
Sutter P-2000/G Laser-based Micropipette Puller
The Sutter P-2000 micropipette puller represents a significant advance in the technology of fabrication of micropipettes, optical fiber probes, and nanospray tips. The P-2000 integrates a CO2 laser-based heat source with the technology derived from our extensive experience with conventional pullers. This system offers capabilities unmatched by other pullers.
While the P-2000 is suitable for working with most conventional glasses, its primary advantage is the ability to work with quartz glass (fused silica). Quartz offers superior material properties for a variety of research applications. Quartz is stronger than other glasses and can facilitate penetration through tough tissues which would normally break conventional pipettes(1)Ê. For applications requiring a low noise glass, users will find that quartz is the lowest noise glass available(2,4). Quartz contains none of the metals used in conventional glasses(3). Optically, quartz is virtually free from fluorescence when illuminated.
A CO2 laser was selected as the heat source for the P-2000 for several reasons. First, the nominal emission wavelength of the laser approximates the resonant frequency of the SiO2 lattice in glass. Thus, quartz and other conventional glasses can be melted when the appropriate laser power is supplied. Second, laser heat is clean and leaves no metal residue on the pipette as do conventional heating filaments. Third, laser heat can be turned off instantly, leaving no residual filament heat. Lastly, the user can program the amount and distribution of heat supplied to the glass.
The P-2000 can store up to 100 separate programs, with each program consisting of up to 8 command lines. Programmable parameters include; laser power level, scan width, trip velocity, delay/ laser on time, and hard pull strength.
One important consideration for the use of the P-2000 is the diameter of the glass used. The P-2000/G is designed to produce even heating on glass up to 1.2 mm in outside diameter. Larger diameter glasses can be used with the P-2000/G (up to 1.5 mm quartz and 1.8 mm conventional glasses), but the performance is best with glass that is 1.2 mm diameter or less.
The P-2000/F works well with small diameter glasses such as optical fibers, and with small diameter fused silica capillary commonly used for the manufacture of nanospray tips. Small diameter glass (outer diameter in the range of 0.125 mm to 0.6 mm) requires special puller bars as well as an optical alignment optimized for the smaller diameter material.
As with larger diameter glass, a wide range of tip sizes and taper geometries can be produced with the P-2000/F and small diameter glass. We have drawn optical fiber tips ranging from less than 10nm to more than 5µm. Please consult our technical staff for further information.
These references describe the Flaming/Brown pullers and contain valuable information applicable to the P-2000.
(1) Munoz, J.L. and Coles, J. Quartz micropipettes for intracellular voltage micro- electrodes and ion selective microelectrodes. Journal of Neuroscience Methods: 22:57-64, 1987.
(2) Rae, J.L. and Levis, R. A. A method for exceptionally low noise single channel recordings. European Journal of Physiology - Pflgers Archiv: 420:618-620, 1992.
(3) Zuazaga, C. and Steinacker, A. Patch-clamp recording of ion channels: Interfering effects of patch pipette glass. News in Physiological Science: 5:155-159, 1990.
(4) Levis, R.A. and Rae, J. L. The use of quartz patch pipettes for low noise single channel recording.ÊBiophysical Journal: 65:1666-1677, 1993.
- Capable of pulling quartz, borosilicate and aluminosilicate glass.
- Fully programmable - including heating filament characteristics.
- The laser has no melting point limit as with conventional metal filaments; and therefore, cannot be burned out.
- Pulls electrodes with tip diameters smaller than 0.03µm.
- Optimized velocity sensing circuit for maximized sensitivity and reproducibility.*
- Operating life of the CO2 laser is expected to be in excess of ten years with normal use, after which the laser can be refurbished by the Sutter Instrument Company for a nominal charge.
- Individual programs can be write-protected in order to secure them from inadvertent changes.
- The total time that the heat is on during the pull is displayed for improved program development and troubleshooting.
- A date and time stamp is displayed to show the last time that a program has been changed.
- The P-2000/F is ideal for applications such as nanospray and NSOM.
- Preprogrammed sample programs for intra-cellular and patch pipettes. The P-2000/F also comes with an NSOM tip program.
30in x 14.25in x 13.25in
76cm x 36cm x 33.5cm
All returns must be authorized by Spectra Services in order to insure proper credit and must be requested within 30 days of purchase. All returns are subject to a minimum 15% restocking charge. For returns not due to error on behalf of Spectra Services, the customer is responsible for all transportation fees related to the returned product. To ensure proper credit, each product return must include the following information:
- Customer name and address
- Purchase order number
- Spectra Services shipping order number
- Date of invoice
- Item number of returned item(s)
- Spectra Services return authorization number (RMA)
- Reason for return
Unfortunately, Spectra Services is unable to accept the following returns at this time:
- Products not in completely resalable condition (including products with damaged, missing, or defaced labeling or packaging
- Chemicals, reagents, diagnostics, sterile, or any controlled products (unless products do not meet specification
- Laboratory apparatus or instruments that have been used or are without the original packaging, labeling and operating manuals
- Refrigerated products or other perishables
- Products which are not inventoried by Spectra Services and are not able to be returned to the manufacturer
- Products purchased on a special order
- Products not purchased from Spectra Services
- Products with an expired shelf life or an expiration date too short for resale
- Discontinued products
Spectra Services reserves the right to review this policy on a case-by-case basis.
Upon receipt of the pre-owned product(s), the customer has one week to evaluate the product to ensure it meets their expectations. If for some reason the customer decides to return the product, they may do so at any point during those seven (7) days for a full refund. No restocking fee will be assessed, however, the customer is responsible for the return shipping costs. Full credit will be issued upon receipt and inspection of the item(s) to ensure equipment was returned in the same condition it was initially shipped out in.
All exchanges and returns require the completion of a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) form. Once completed, please return the merchandise immediately as the RMA number is only active for ten (10) days from the date of issuance.
Charges associated with returning items are the responsibility of the customer unless the item(s) arrived defective, damaged, or incorrect.
Spectra Services highly recommends that return packages be insured for full value and packaged securely to prevent shipping damage.
We're Here To Help
Your satisfaction is important to us! Use this form Contact Us to email us your questions about products, online orders, store experiences and more.
If you need help or have any other questions concerning your orders, please click on the "Contact us" form above or call: 800-955-7732.
249 David Parkway
Ontario, NY 14519 US
I'm having a hard time searching for a product.
That's no problem. We're more than happy to assist you in your search. Give us a call, or drop us a line and let us know what you're looking for as best you can. We're always adding partner brands, and it's difficult to keep up with the thousands of products that get added to our lineup. Our sales specialists know our lineup best, and are most willing to help you find the solution(s) you need!
Why can't I complete my order online?
You most likely have one or more items in your shopping cart that are not priced. If you find that you can't complete an order, contact us via phone or email for further assistance.
What types of payments do you accept?
That's an easy one. We're very flexible when it comes to payment. Not only do we accept most major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express), we also offer you the flexibility of paying by check, money order, wire transfers, and purchase orders. Work with any one of our sales specialists to figure out which method is best for you!
Do you charge sales tax?
Currently, we are authorized to collect sales tax in California, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington. If we ship to any of these states, we are obligated to charge sales tax unless you provide us with a tax exempt certificate. You can either fax a copy of the certificate to our New York office (585.265.4374) or email it to ([email protected]).
Do you offer special pricing for government and educational entities?
Absolutely! Contact any one of our sales specialists to work out the details!
I just placed an order. Can I modify/cancel it?
We pride ourselves on providing you with a responsive and efficient buying experience. We are able to address your concerns in an accurate and timely fashion, and can usually ship your order within 24 hours of order placement. If you contact us within that window, we'll do our absolute best to accommodate your needs and concerns prior to shipment.
Do you accept international orders?
Of course! While we require a bank wire prior to shipment of the product on international orders, we assure you that the process is just as smooth for domestic orders. Take a look at our International Shipping Policy and contact us if we can assist.
Will I be charged for shipping?
Shipping charges will be added to your invoice unless you provide us with your UPS, DHL, or FedEx account number. For a more detailed insight into our shipping process, see our shipping information page.
I received a damaged shipment. What can I do?
Accidental damage during shipment can sometimes happen. When you take delivery of your freight, please inspect thoroughly for any visible damage to the outside of the shipping container before signing for it. If there are multiple pieces to the shipment, please account for all them. Should you find that any of the products are damaged or missing after receipt, contact us within three days to address the matter.
I'd like to make a return. How do I do that?
Take a look at our Return Policy, and then contact us to continue with the process. Let us know if you have any questions.
Can you guarantee pricing and availability?
While we attempt to list and provide you the most up-to-date pricing, we reserve the right to make changes. Additionally, we cannot guarantee that we will always have a product in stock, but we do our best to accommodate your needs. If you have questions regarding pricing or availability, please do not hesitate to ask.
Can you explain where you come up with the 'List Price,' please?
Our "List Price" represents the full retail price as suggested by the supplier or manufacturer, the price estimated based on comparable items offered elsewhere in the marketplace, a former price the item was offered for by Spectra Services, or the price estimated in accordance with industry standards. Please note that we do our best to provide accurate list prices, and that it may vary by geographic location.